Wherein I occasionally rant on various topics including, but not limited to, PHP, Music, and whatever other Topics I find interesting at the moment, including my brain tumor surgery of August 2010.

Friday, February 07, 2014

8-hour ordeal. 17-minute interview

Yesterday, I went to my interview for the Paratransit (door to door ADA service).

I set it up while I could still "walk" down my seven front stairs in 1/2 an hour.

Wheelchair-bound now.

Several days of big snow.

Shoveled by "the love of my life" who's going on weeks of 15-minute catnaps 24/7 to care of me.

Three big burly guys in two shifts to haul my wheelchair down and up stairs:

  • Mike DeWhite
  • Duli
  • Robert Owens
My sister drove me to-and-fro.
Actually, Mike DeWhite with help from my sis (torn rotator cuff) and my SO (6 pins holding a steel plate in her broken collar bone) deserve special mention: Mike DeWhite man-handled me upstairs, with guidance from sis and SO.

Eight-hour ordeal. 17-minute Interview. Including snapping a photo for my ID badge.

My front lawn is way too short for a ramp.  Now I "just" need a $5,000 to $10,000 chair lift...

16 comments:

Kimmie said...

Richard, I found your blog through the Company of Thieves Facebook page. I lost my mom to a glioblastoma in 2008. I wish I had wonderful words of wisdom to offer you, but all I can tell you is I'm in tears writing this. My heart and prayers are with you and your loved ones. I don't know what the future will bring, but keep the faith and know that beautiful things are in store for you. Hugs to you.

trvd1707 said...

I'm very sorry for your ordeal. Have you tried other outlets to ask for assistance? Maybe a vendor of the chair lift can help with discounts and filing with medicaid or something.

I can't today today, but I will donate something as soon as I can.

Besides money and prayers, are there any other things you need?

fencepost said...

I don't know if the city would have problems with it, but could a platform/slight ramp come out over that small section in front of the stairs, then turn and go across the front? Everyone would have to use the ramp not the stairs, but it might work and the cement area might be a good enough footing for the supports (with crossbracing). It might still be too steep, I'm not that good a judge of scale from pictures.

fencepost said...

It may also be worth checking for used lifts - for example, a week or so ago someone at Austin/Grand had a platform lift that they were asking $750 for; it may be possible to put something like that (used) next to the stairs.

jbushkey said...

Hang in there Richard. I had a brain tumor as a kid. I made a small donation. Keep fighting, doctors are not always right ;)

Nola Stowe said...

two of my friends donated ... I will too in a few days!!! You lead the first user group I ever went to, if it weren't for you, I may not have ever gone to one and wouldn't be where I am today!

Nola Stowe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jim said...

How about this or similar? ref: http://www.ameriglide.com/AmeriGlide-Stairlifts.htm?gclid=CPTGkZazyrwCFW9p7AodhB0AaQ

jim said...

How about this or similar? ref: http://www.ameriglide.com/AmeriGlide-Stairlifts.htm?gclid=CPTGkZazyrwCFW9p7AodhB0AaQ

adeinov said...

Donated the other day Richard and just featured your blog on PHPWeekly.com. All the best

Dave M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave M said...

He has a campaign on Crowdtilt we could all donate to: https://www.crowdtilt.com/campaigns/wheel-chair-ramp-or-medical-and-living-expenses

UnRated Magazine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
UnRated Magazine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
UnRated Magazine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
UnRated Magazine said...

Richard God Bless you. I will miss you my friend and programming Genius . Many may not know you started the Chicago PHP Users Group and kept active till the last days. As a friend lunches downtown or in the burbs were the best. Loved sharing ideas and life with a true friend. Again, God bless you.
Adam Bielawski